Indoor 6's League Rules
Team requirements -
- A team consists of 6-9 players
- Starting lineup has 6 players on the court but may begin the match with a minimum of 5 players (including 1 females on the court). Exception, teams are allowed to play with 4 male and 1 female if missing female players.
- A team must have at least two females on the court at all times when play with 6.
- There is no maximum number of females that can be on the court.
- There is no requirement for a female needing to touch the ball before an attack.
- Failure to have at least 5 players by the start time of the first set will mean an automatic loss on the first set. 7 points will be deducted if the team isn't on the court within 5 minutes of start time. First set is then forfeited at 10 minutes. If the team still does not have a complete team after 15 minutes they will forfeit the second set.
- Only 1 sub is allowed for playoffs and that player needs to be equal or worse talent, this will be at ACES discretion. The player must have also played in the league and at least 2 games with their team.
- At least 4 players are required to be from the roster during regular season, if only 3 are available, then your team will have to play with 5 players (1 girls on court at all times when playing with 5, and 2 girls for 6s).
*Our indoor volleyball league follows USA Volleyball standard rules of play, unless noted below:
- Any net contact is illegal and is a side-out for the opposing team.
- To touch the opponent’s court with a foot (feet) is permitted, provided that some part of the penetrating foot (feet) remains either in contact with or directly above the centerline, and this should also not interfere with the game play.
- Exception for intermediate/beginners level – refs will not call doubles on handsets. Lifts and throws should still be called.
- At the beginning of the game, a team will paper/rock/scissor to choose to either (1) select to serve or receive first ball OR (2) which side they want to start on. The team losing will take the remaining choice.
- 3rd set will also require paper/rock/scissors and teams will switch side when one side scores 8 points.
- Best two-out-of-three games
- Rally Scoring Format is used for all games.
- First two games are to 25 (cap at 27) ; third game is to 15 (cap at 17) - must win by 2 in all games
- 5 minute shared warm-up at the beginning of each match.
- Each team gets one time out of 30 seconds duration per set.
- Intermissions between games will be a maximum of 1-minute.
- At the game's conclusion, please vacate the court to allow the next match to adequately start on schedule. A team may stay on the court if their game finishes early but must be off the court 5 minutes prior to the next match.
- Masks are encouraged but not required unless hosting gym applies the restriction, you will be informed if such change occurs.
WARM-UP, TIMEOUTS, BREAKS
- 7:40 PM games: please warm-up bumping and passing prior to 7:40 PM and you'll have 3 minutes to warm-up spiking and serving. First serve at 7:45 PM.
- If previous game lasts past the start time due to long rallies, teams get 3 minutes to warm-up and games will start 5 minutes after the end of the last game.
- Timeouts: Each team gets 1 timeout per set. 45 seconds each timeout.
- Breaks: One minute break between sets.
- Each team is required to provide at least 4 players at designated times throughout the season. Duties which include; 2 line judges, 1 scorekeeper, and 1 up referee (R1) to officiate. Reffing teams can recruit volunteers to cover duties
- Failure to provide players by the start of the match will result in a 5 point penalty awarded to the opposing team in the violating team's first set of the next match (if the team has played that night) or will be assessed the same night if the team has yet to play. It is the responsibility of the two teams playing to alert the board,if the team with refereeing responsibilities fails to provide all 4 necessary duties. The board will need to be made aware of the refereeing violation the same night of the game. Point penalties may also carry over into the playoff matches.
Important reminder: Please always be respectful to the refs, ACES is all about having a great time and bringing the fun energy!
If you have questions about a call, please only have the team captain TALK to the ref or an ACES staff to discuss (when the play is over). Keep playing until the ref makes a call and blows the whistle. The point will still count even if you stop the play.
- Captain may substitute a player during league games only. You must have your complete registered team for Playoffs unless given approval from the director due to injury or illness. (see Medical Substitution)
- Captains may use a player from another team or find an outside sub within their division.
- Players may play up a division if asked by the advance but upper divisions may not play down.
- The captain can bring in a sub or player exchange anytime up to game start time as long as it adheres to guidelines.
- A team may sub or replace up to the original rostered amount of the team only during league, this will not be allowed during Playoffs.
- If a substitute and the player they are replacing both show up, only the team player will be allowed to play.
- Once a substitute player has played on a team, they are still welcome to substitute for another team later in the season, if needed. A sub is not tied to one particular team. A player exchange (or replacement) is tied to one team, but may still serve as a substitute
******Medical Substitutions – in case of an injury, you are allowed to get a substitution, but the player still needs to be at least 2 games in regular season but must follow the substitution section. The injured player will not be allowed to return to the match.
Every player needs to sign a waiver, including subs. https://www.acesintexas.com/pages/waiver
All ACES participants are expected to maintain a sportsman-like behavior. Failure to do so will warrant an appropriate sanction up to the following:
- Penalty - point awarded to the opposing team.
- Expulsions of individual members
*Refunds will NOT be issued for ejections or suspensions for unsportsmanlike conduct.